The Evolution of a COVID Captive

 Lockdown. That's what so many people have referred to their/ our situation since mid-march. There is no doubt Covid-19 changed the country and the world and will continue to change how we live, work, and interact for years to come. As my moments were limited and my recreation and social life dampened I decided to engage in self- improvement, and introspection. In my enlightened moment, I learned some things about myself

1. That I could actually live successfully as a vegetarian, but I don't want to. In March, I committed to living a healthier lifestyle, full-on with exercise, and diet.  In April, I moved to a vegetarian diet. I filled the diet until mid-May. It worked. I lost 16 pounds. But you know what I found out about myself. I like chicken, I like fish. I like beef.  I can't be a vegetarian for the rest of my life.

2. Sports talk radio is truly useless. I used to love sports talk radio. And I mean LOVE. I would always listen to it while I worked throughout the day. Then the pandemic came and sports stopped. The talking heads scrambled to create empty topics for almost two months and suddenly, sports were back. The fresh topics started back and I realized that the "fresh" topics were exactly the same as the empty topics. The only difference that there was a game the night before. Now I cannot listen to sports radio, because all I hear are the tired retreated topics assigned to different people, games, and events. Thanks, COVID.

3. I did not value my alone time when I had it.  From March until September I was with my children all day every day.  I walk into the living room and someone was on a lice stream class. I go upstairs and someone else was on a live stream class. Basement. I can hear it in the kitchen. I have to walk around the house while on work calls to avoid the random interruption to fix a live stream or comprehension issue. I took for granted how productive I can be when I am alone. Now that my children are on a hybrid school schedule, I make the most of the 2 1/2 days a week that I have when I am alone and able to hit maximum productivity. ( I write this now as my daughter is sitting patiently at my side to ask me a question about her writing assignment).

COVID has changed many people and things. It definitely has changed me. Excuse me, I have to go and attend to my wardens.

Comments

Popular Posts